"Some people believe football is a matter of life and death, I am very disappointed with that attitude. I can assure you it is much, much more important than that." - Bill Shankly

Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Sean-Scott Ingersoll

From Squad Profiles

Position: Midfielder/Goalkeeper of Last Resort/Manager
Hometown: Salem, OR
Pre-game song: "Monkey Vs. Robot" by James Kochalka Superstar
Goals: 11 (plus 3 more while on load with Wolfhounds FC)
Bio:
"A fine pitch. A good squad. And Heaven beats Hell 7-0 every single time." Guy Roux, former Auxerre manager, on his definition of Paradise.

I've been playing football since the third grade, including my senior year at North Salem High School (Salem's only inner-city high school) with Aaron Radigan after he immigrated here from New Zealand. Architecture school at the UO cut down my pitch time and after graduation I left the game for a while and took up mountain climbing. I summit bagged for seven years before getting caught in a small avalanche/fall on Mt. Garibaldi in Canada, at which point I decided that perhaps my recreational pursuits were best left to low elevation environs. Around that same time I also discovered Fox Soccer Channel, met Mark Vogel and took up his invitation to play for Rangers in the fall of '05. This is my sixth campaign as manager for 'Gers. We have an awesome squad and won the Spring 2008 GPSD Rose City Over-30 Third Division championship. I don't know if it is totally cool or totally sad that qualified as the Third Greatest Moment of My Life. That fall we went undefeated for the entire season before coming up second best in the championship match. We were runners up in the fall of 2009, too, losing 2-1 to the undefeated Salem Kickers in the coldest soccer match I have ever played.

I love this game. My daughter Kendall is quite the little U11 player and you can find us in Section 118 of Jenn-Weld Park for almost every PTFC home match. Nothing warms a father's heart like seeing his precious seven year old scream "CARD THEM ALL!" when the referee flashes a caution to the Timbers' opposition. I was fortunate enough to see Charlton Athletic play Manchester City to a 2-2 draw at the Valley in east London back in April '05. Last August, my brother Tyler and I went to England to see Manchester United play Juventus at Old Trafford...from the fifteenth row, midfield. We also watched Fulham tie Torino 2-2 at Craven Cottage and saw the Community Shield at Wembley Stadium, where my beloved Red Devils beat Portsmouth 3-1 on penalties.

Rangers' fearless player/manager supports Manchester United, Alloa Athletic (Scottish Second Division), Portland Timbers, FC Black Cat IV and the Aloha United U11 Express.

Mad Maynard: If you really are a member of the Manchester United Fan Club, sing the Manchester United song.
Scott: Excuse me? I'm sorry. I'm really not that much of a singer...
Mad Maynard: [slams a beer bottle on the floor] Sing!
Scott: [Immediately begins singing] My baby takes the mornin' train. / He works from nine to five and then, / he takes another home again to find me... watching the Manchester United Football Team! Ah? The best freakin' team in all the land! Woo hoo!
Mad Maynard: Pretty good! Pretty damn good, lads!
From "Eurotrip", 2004

I'm Sean Ingersoll and I approved this message.




3 comments:

Leigh Bauman said...

The Verve? Sean I expect better from you.

iSean said...

I know how much the video for my last pre-match song ("Augen Auf!" by Oomph!) disturbed you, even though all the lyrics were in German, so I opted for something less frightening.

Besides, this is the Verve [cool] and not the Verve Pipe [sucks].

Gary said...

Eurotrip... I finally saw that on one of last trips to Florida. I love how they manage to stumble into a Manc supporters club in LONDON. Classic! Best quote from the movie:

Hooligan: So I tell the swamp donkey to sock it before I give her a trunky in the tradesman's entrance and have her lick me yarbles! [laughs]

Cooper: Wow. You guys are on a completely different level of swearing here.